Marine Corps Birthday
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Marine Corps Birthday

September 24, 2004
    The Birthday

by Master Gunnery Sgt. Billy Stewart
    Special to Henderson Hall News

As we come into the season of the Marine Corps Birthday, I must tell you that I enter it with excitement. My excitement is personally directed towards the current state of our Corps and the passing of precious traditions. That's right, we are around thirty days out. Celebrating the birthday of our Corps has always been special for me. As always, I make a point to prepare for and promote the Marine Corps Ball as early as possible.

However, there are and will always be Marines that do not attend the ball no matter how early the planning process begins. The excuses that these Marines present sound like a broken record and remain the same as they always have, both weak and bogus in nature. These Marines are not the norm, however they are significant enough to discuss. In my opinion, there are no excuses short of tradgedy that would cause a Marine not to attend the ball. Sadly, there are still both Marines and their leaders that just do not "get it."

Unlike some, I am certainly not politically correct when it comes to the Marine Corps Ball. I will "guilt trip" a Marine into attending our Marine Corps Ball every chance I get. I am sickened when I hear that Leathernecks feel that the Marine Corps Birthday Ball is about location, a band, ticket prices, or whether or not you get a "rubber chicken" dinner. It is so much more as you will soon be reminded. The passing and remembrance of tradition can never be underestimated. General Lejeune sums it up perfectly in his message that is read at the ball every year. I would like to share it with each of you and break a few lines down shotgun style afterwards. I would deeply appreciate your attention, as the Marine Corps tradition means so very much.

LEJEUNE'S MESSAGE

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Since that date, many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the Birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our Corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the nations foes. From the battle of Trenton to the Argonne. Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term Marine has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

With all of this said, let's discuss the word duty. As Marines, we have a duty to honor. The aforementioned first paragraph says so:

In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the Birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

If that doesn't convince you, one should think of the institution that they chose to be a part of; remember?

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term Marine has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

Last time I checked, this was not purchased at a cheap price or appeared out of thin air, thus the spirit must continue as it is explained in the final paragraph.

So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

Frankly, whether you care or not, the following is my anthem:

It really matters not whether a Marine wears Alphas, Dress Blues, Evening Mess, or a "fart sack" and shower shoes to the ball. The spirit of the gathering is what concerns me. If you are lacking enough time or concern to honor what men and women that have earned the title of Marine and served honorably during the both the past and present, then you certainly need to check your resume for qualifiers; the qualifiers that set you apart as a Marine. Like most of you, I answer with pride, when asked if I'm a Marine. I couldn't fathom the chance of not attending the ball. If I couldn't attend a local Marine Corps Ball for any reason, I would drive, fly, or hump to one. In fact, while on leave once I found a local Marine Corps League and joined in on a festive celebration.

Am I saying that if you don't attend the ball you are less of a Marine? Ask yourself that question. What I am saying is that there is something missing when a Marine doesn't want to celebrate the very fiber and essence of those that came before them, what they have worked so hard to be a part of, but more importantly, what they are. It is such a small price to pay to the institution and to all that are woven so tightly by a common bond.

Marines talk a great game; honor and commitment. Honor to what and to whom? Commitment to what? Just remember, when the cake is cut, so much more is being passed than icing and cake mix; It is a cake of tradition, baked with the blood, sweat and tears of Marines with names such as Puller, Butler, Howard, Henderson, and a certain female by the name of Opha M. Johnson. Who will be passing the traditions in five, ten, or twenty years? Maybe we will do it via email? Will "regiments be handed down forever." We'll see.

Marines do not check their loyalty, dedication, and traditions at the gate when they drive off base. We are not a club or corporation. We are a band of brothers and sisters and a Corps of Marines that is united by tradition, history, and a deep sense of camaraderie that no one will ever understand unless they have earned it. It plays a music that only we as Marines can hear. If you no longer hear that music, it may be time for you to leave the dance.

I will dismount my soapbox now and just be thankful that you have read this far. However, I would ask that you recall the words Semper Fidelis on 10 November and remember your proper place of duty. It will be a day when Leathernecks past and present honor one another, and pay homage the greatest fighting force to ever exist. An institution that embodies the word "team" and reminds us daily that we are contributing members; the United States Marine Corps. It will be your own personal choice if you dress for the game or not.

http://www.dcmilitary.com/marines/he...y/31338-1.html

Ellie

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up MGY/SGT Billy Stewart-USMC

Thank you for the wake up call to ALL Marines who don't want to attend the annual USMC Birthday Ball...if you are near Boston on the 10Nov04, you are welcome to the Semper Fidelis Society of Boston, which annually celebrates the USMC Ball social...we expect 2,000 Marines [of all wars] to answer roll call at the Hynes Convention Center at 11am til 3pm...as for the...no shows...the Chaplain's office and Sickbay are just down the passage way...hey, to the Marines [who give a good damn] and celebrate the USMC Birthday [big-small-modest]...Semper Fidelis

Ellie

Well put Young Lady.

Good To Go!

Preparation is the key to …
    Strutting your stuff
    Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
    Story Identification #: 20041062442
    Story by Lance Cpl. Martin R. Harris

CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan — (Oct. 1, 2004) -- It seems that time has a way of slipping away. It moves even faster when Marines wait until the last moment to prepare their dress uniforms for one of the most important events of the
    year: the Marine Corps birthday ball.

“The Marine Corps birthday is a grand time to celebrate and put on our best (dress uniform),” said 1st Sgt. Timothius M. Robinson, Company B, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base Camp Butler.

To keep looking their best, Marines’ dress blue uniforms must be maintained regularly to ensure a proper fit, and this becomes difficult when Marines are deployed several weeks or months throughout the year, explained Capt. Todd A. Harding, assistant supply officer for Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron-1, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing.

“(High) operational tempo leaves very little time for a Marine to get his dress uniform to the tailor,” Harding said. “When a Marine realizes (at the last minute) it is time to go to the ball, his (dress uniform) may be too tight, or he may need to have new medals mounted. By the time he gets to the tailor, it could be too late.”

Lance Cpl. Ruffy Galsim will not be caught off guard for the upcoming ball season. He started shopping for his uniform items six weeks before the ball.

“I’m getting everything ready now because (uniform clothing) sales doesn’t always have my size,” said Galsim, a fiscal budget technician for Managerial Accounting Branch, Marine Corps Base Camp Butler.

Staff noncommissioned officers should not worry about getting their white trousers tailored for the ball, said Sgt. Maj. Robert E. Mastriano, Camp Butler’s sergeant major.

“Dress blue-white uniforms are authorized to wear during the summer months,” Mastriano said. “The Marine Corps birthday ball is held during the winter, making the blue trousers the authorized uniform.”

The decision to get everything in order for the ball all comes down to the Marine’s personality, explained Tommy Y.K. Cheung, whose been a military tailor for 43 years.

“All the Marines that come to the store are very busy, but the ones who come early are clearly more organized, which makes it much easier for me,” said Cheung, who runs the tailor shop in the Post Exchange Marketplace here. “I’m running around like a chicken with my head off the last two weeks before the ball.”

Once the dress uniform has been tailored, it must be cleaned. This service is available at each of the Army and Air Force Exchange Service dry cleaning and alteration shops. Dry cleaning services return uniforms in three days, and alteration services return uniforms in four days, explained Sgt. 1st Class Amanda Glenn, AAFES Pacific region public affairs representative.

The tailor shops are receiving a large amount of dress uniforms due to the upcoming ball season, but this will not change our return service policy, Glenn stated.

Although AAFES doesn’t provide a medal mounting service, there are off base businesses that will mount medals. The military clothing shop here has information on places that offer mounting services off base.

With a little proper, prior planning, getting the dress uniform ready for the Marine Corps
    ball season shouldn’t be a hassle for Marines.

CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan — Lance Cpl. Ruffy D. Galsim looks at a new white belt for his Marine Corps dress blue uniform at the military clothing sales here Oct. 1. Galsim is getting an early jump on the Marine Corps birthday ball season by purchasing needed uniform items. “I’m getting everything ready now because cash sales doesn’t always have my size,” said Galsim, a fiscal budget technician for Managerial Accounting Branch, Marine Corps Base Camp Butler. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Martin R. Harris

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...B?opendocument

Ellie

One of the great Marine Corps Birthday parties takes place in Atlanta at the Blue Ribbon Grill. A huge crowd--from Generals down to boot-ass privates--shows up for socializing, color guard, the reading of the Commandant's birthday message, cutting of the cake.
    Free horse ovaries include SOS.
    The co-owners are both Marines. The walls in place are covered up with recruiting posters, pics of old Marines, including some company and platoon group pics from all eras.
    It's still business as usual and the civilians who weren't aware of the event are shocked, then delighted, at the goings on.
    Semper Fi

October 15, 2004
    Marine Corps worship service to be held at Washington National Cathedral Nov. 7

HEADQUARTERS MARINE CORPS, Washington - A worship service to celebrate the 229th birthday of the United States Marine Corps will be held at the Washington National Cathedral Nov. 7, at 4 p.m.

The cathedral is located at Massachusetts and Wisconsin NW Aves., Washington. The Washington National Cathedral and the Commandant of the Marine Corps, General Michael W. Hagee, host this annual event.

This moving and inspirational celebration offers civilians, service members and their families a time to pause in prayer and think about the Marines who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to God, Country and Corps.

Rear Admiral Robert F. Burt, the 15th Chaplain of the Marine Corps and the Deputy Chief of Navy Chaplains is this year's honored guest.

The Brass Ensemble of "The President's Own" United States Marine Band will perform a pre-worship concert at 3:30 p.m. This ceremony is open to the public.

The uniform is: active duty Marines, Blue Dress "B" (ribbons, no badges), or Service "A" (ribbons and badges); uniform equivalent for other services; and civilian informal. Limited parking is available on the streets surrounding the Cathedral, car-pooling or mass transit recommended.

For more information concerning the Worship Service, call Chaplain David Kloak or Staff Sergeant Robert Shin at (703) 614-5630.

http://www.dcmilitary.com/marines/he...s/31643-1.html

Ellie

Systems Command releases educational video
    Submitted by: Marine Corps Systems Command
    Story Identification #: 20041019708
    Story by Maj. Robert C. Crum

MARINE CORPS BASE, Quantico, VA (Oct. 19, 2004) -- Marine Corps Systems Command recently released a video highlighting the latest equipment headed to the operating forces.

Coinciding with the Marine Corps Birthday season, the 16-minute program, produced by SysCom and Braun Film and Video, sheds light on the various product groups within the command, and shows off several of their newest products.

The purpose of the video is to educate Marines at all levels about what SysCom does in support of the operating forces, said Maj. Richard Hollen, contracting officer for Infantry Weapons Systems, and co-producer of the film.

While the video, built around an historical timeline, can be aired on command video channels, in chow halls, theaters and unit “rec rooms,” it is especially suited for playing at Marine Corps birthday balls, Hollen said.

“Our desire is that Marines and Sailors will be encouraged, knowing that the Marine Corps, by way of our SysCom team, is working hard to provide them with the very best equipment available,” said Hollen.

The film took nearly six months to complete, and involved participation by numerous military and civilian SysCom personnel.

“I want every Marine to see this film…to learn about our dedicated team and how we’re trying hard to address the warfighter’s needs,” said SysCom Sgt. Maj. Michael B. Campbell. With nearly thirty years in uniform, Campbell said that much has changed in the way of weapons and equipment, but the high character and ethos of Marines remains constant.

Hollen said the film helps address a fundamental lack of understanding about how needed equipment makes its way into the hands of the warfighter.

“We transform requirements into reality,” Hollen said of the command's work.

DVDs will be arriving in public affairs offices throughout the Marine Corps within the week. Units desiring copies should contact their local public affairs or unit information officer.

Flanked on the left and the right by Lt. Col. Ned Dachman, from PM Ammunition and Sgt. Drew Tippin, Infantry Weapons Systems, respectively, Maj. Richard Hollen, Infantry Weapons Systems, donned the uniform of a Colonial Marine during the filming of the Marine Corps Systems Command video. Built around a historical timeline, the video shows off some of the equipment headed for the operating forces. Photo by: Braun Film and Video

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...C?opendocument

Ellie

Registered User Free Member decuervo's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel pretty good for being almost 229. Happy birthday to us all.

Golden Corral's Fourth Annual (2004) Military Appreciation Monday
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free dinner to our nation's military, past and present

To show our thanks.

Monday Night November 15, 2004 from 5-9PM

Veterans' Day honors our military personnel, past and present, for their
    willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good. All 400+ Golden
    Corral restaurants spanning 39 states join together once again to offer
    these patriots a Free "Thank-you" Dinner Buffet on Monday Night November
    15th from 5-9PM.

The offer is based on the honor system, no ID required; members of U.S.
    Reserves and National Guard are included in this special recognition offer.

Appreciation Night at the Golden Corral Golden Corral has the vision to make
    "pleasurable dining affordable to every guest, at every restaurant, every
    day." In recent years, a number of Golden Corral franchise restaurants in
    North Carolina and Virginia broadened that vision by offering a Military
    Appreciation Night complete with free meals to veterans and active duty
    military the Monday following Veterans Day. The Military Appreciation Night
    program proved so successful, for this Veterans Day approximately 500 Golden
    Corrals nationwide will open their doors to veterans and active duty
    military for a free dinner buffet including beverage on Monday, November 15
    from 5-9 p.m. Additionally, Golden Corrals are offering even more prior to
    the free meals--they are allowing participating DAV Chapters to set up
    stations in the restaurants throughout the Veterans Day weekend. That means
    an entire weekend of opportunity for signing up new members and recruiting
    volunteers for DAV service programs. Golden Corral is also allowing for DAV
    contribution canisters so customers can make donations to approved DAV
    service programs. The DAV and Golden Corral franchise restaurants are very
    excited about this year's Military Appreciation Night. We are grateful to
    the men and women of Golden Corral for recognizing the service and
    sacrifices of veterans and the men and women of our armed forces.

http://www.goldencorral.com/PromoSpec.htm

Ellie

Marines get ready to sung 'Happy Birthday'

By Linda McIntosh
    COMMUNITY NEWS WRITER

October 23, 2004

CAMP PENDLETON – The Marines are getting ready to celebrate their 229th birthday. For Dick Adams, that means getting out his tuxedo and his favorite big band music.

Adams will lead the band for the birthday ball, being put on by the Pendleton chapter of the Military Officers Association of America on Nov. 5.

Reminiscent of his USO days, when he played music alongside stars such as Bob Hope and Red Skelton, Adams and his six-piece band will offer swing tunes from the 1920s to 1950s.

Ever since the chapter's first ball 24 years ago, Adams has played piano under the direction of retired Maj. Gen. Carl Hoffman, a former commanding general of Camp Pendleton.

This year, Hoffman passed the baton to Adams. But Hoffman will still lead the evening's festivities.

Hoffman will welcome guests and introduce the guest of honor, retired Brig. Gen. Joseph Knotts.

Following tradition, the birthday cake will be brought in by a dozen officers of various ranks in full dress.

The commanding general of Camp Pendleton, Maj. Gen. Timothy Donovan, will cut the cake and serve the first pieces to the guest of honor and to the oldest and youngest Marines.

The evening's festivities will include birthday speeches, dinner and dancing.

"This is a ball where many different branches of the military can get together and celebrate the Marine Corps birthday," Hoffman said.

The event is expected to draw about 500 guests.

"It is good to see old friends again," said retired Maj. Robert Gray, 95, who once again will be honored as the oldest retired Marine during the cake cutting.

Ceremonies will start at 7 p.m. Nov. 5, with cocktail hour beginning at 5:30 p.m.

Officers, warrant officers and their guests are invited. Dinner will be a choice of prime rib, chicken or a vegetable entree.

For information and reservations, call (760) 728-5389.

Do you have a story idea for Camp Pendleton? Contact Linda McIntosh at (760) 476-8214 or linda.mcintosh@uniontrib.com. For special events, please alert us at least four weeks in advance. We work ahead.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...m23tfcamp.html

Ellie

Sgt. Smitty
    Guest Free Member
    Does anyone know of any birthday Balls in Oregon?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Smitty, my guess is that since there are no MCB's the only other possibilitys would be the recruiting district or reserve units generally have one. I stopped in at my local recruiters and got tickets to the 12th RS Ball.

Semper Fi
    Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Anything that I should watch out for at Birthday Ball? After 4 years of Navy balls with my high school unit, I'm fairly well acquainted with the basics, but perhaps some older and wiser heads could give me a cheat sheet?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Yeah, have a good time and be proud of the Tradition you are now a part of. You've earned it.

Registered User Free Member decuervo's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    If you're a light weight drinker leave before the toasts start!!!!!!!! IMPERATIVE!!!! Also, if you happen to be in Okinawa, stay away from Cadena AirBase because theirs gonna be one hell of a royal rumble with the fly boys when 200+ charged up infantry Marines in blues go into their little E Club and start stealing their women. (personal experiences)

Thread Information